Since sharing my exact (four) steps I took to get GDPR ready, I've been asked numerous times what Cookie Plugin I'm using for my Cookie Banner to pop up like that...
It's not a Plug-In. I've enabled Squarespace's inbuilt Cookie Banner.
And in this Blog I show you HOW I did it.
I'll also explain, why Squarespace's Cookie Banner may not be GDPR sufficient (just yet). And we'll talk about other options.
But let me show you click by click...
The YouTube tutorial
Like the video? Check out my YouTube channel here. >>
Since the video and my GDPR blog, James Chiodo (Disclaimer Template™), my Privacy Professional, has created an even more special package just for me. To share with YOU. And yes it's an affiliate link. It has my name on it. Literally! ;) That's because, at this stage, I worked with the guy a lot. He over-delivers. And he went all out on this value-packed package and charges pittance for it.
I'm still giving you both links though. The "Big 3" and this new GDPR package (for friends of Kerstin Begley). I wanted you to see and decide for yourself. Take it from me, the new package is even better than the one I purchased! And James Chiodo keeps on over-delivering. Plus, he's the most helpful person I know.
If you prefer the written version of the video, keep scrolling... 📜
Enabling the Cookie Banner in Squarespace
For this you can also check out Squarespace's latest post on Adding a cookie banner.
Here's what I did...
- In your Home Menu go into Settings
- Go into Cookies & Visitor Data
- Click Enable Cookie Banner
- Add your cookie text or use Squarespace's default cookie message
- Check the box Disable Squarespace Analytics
- Click Save
In the video I mention (and show) a code to style and customise your Squarespace Cookie Banner. I got the original code from Kerstin Martin, a fellow website creator. Here is her blog for more details (including the code)...
HOW to enter the code:
- Go into Design
- Go into Custom CSS
- Paste the code into the window that pops up
- Customise the code to match your brand
- Click Save
As soon as you click Save, your beautiful new Squarespace Cookie Banner will appear. It's like magic. Thanks, Kerstin M., for sharing.
Cookie categories and real choice
James Chiodo, Privacy Professional and CEO at Disclaimer Template™ pointed out, you have to give your website users "real choice over cookies".
There are different kinds of categories when it comes to cookies. And users/website visitors need to be able to pick their own preferences.
The three cookie software options James recommended (see resources below), offers that "real choice over cookies".
One of them is Civic UK (my favourite). Their tagline is...
"The original cookie solution, updated for GDPR."
(And they have a FREE version too. Perfect!)
I like Civic UK because they explain everything first in an easy-to-understand way on their site.
And in their own cookie banner (as an example), they make it nice and clear for people to choose their preferred categories:
- NECESSARY COOKIES enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.
- ANALYTICAL COOKIES help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage.
- SOCIAL SHARING PLUGINS, to allow you to share certain pages of our website on social media. These plugins place cookies so that you can correctly view how many times a page has been shared.
And that's what it means giving website visitors real choice over cookies.
Resources/links mentioned in the video
● THE GDPR package - Tons of templates (in one package) & so much more to get you (properly) GDPR ready
● My GDPR Blog with My EXACT (4) steps to get GDPR-ready (shared over 800 times!)
● Cookie software suggestions by a Privacy Professional. (They all have a free version):
- civicuk.com (this is the one I'm leaning towards)
- cookiebot.com (lets just say the free version doesn't look very appealing)
- onetrust.com (the most expensive)
● Kerstin Martin's Cookie Banner Blog for more details and original code (to style your Squarespace Cookie Banner).
I hope this Blog helped you. Let me know in the comments below.
Your Click By Click Tech Guide 🤓 and
cookie monster. 🍪
7 Steps To A Website.
Wanna build your own website but you've no idea where to even begin?
Click the button below and download my FREE step-by-step guide to start your site, take (website) control and never have to pay a web designer again.
Includes click-by-click video tutorials... Something I wish I had when I started!
It's so easy-peasy, you can do it in bed, PJ's on. (Over coffee and chocolate... yum.)
In the comments below, what's the ONE thing you struggle with the MOST when it comes to getting a website? Or send me PM on Facebook. I'd LOVE to help.